Cost of Living Crises – Local and wider support

Written by Bobby Kelly

July 19, 2023

The ‘Cost of Living Crises’ is the term used to refer to the economic situation we find ourselves in, although the ‘Cost of Credit Crises’ would probably be a more accurate term, but that’s something for another article.

Here is a list of some support available locally and more widely – we’ll update and republish periodically.

Citizens Advice provides lots of information and advice on a wide variety of topics, including legal, debt, consumer, housing, benefits and other issues.

Citizens Advice, at least in Ceredigion, have been assisting people to access credit for their energy supply through an energy voucher that doesn’t have to be paid back.

The amount you can get depends on your circumstances and can only be seen as short term relief – you can also often get credit from your energy supplier, EDF energy, atleast, are known to provide interest free credit of £250  to customers, when requested.

Citizens Advice is also usually an organisation you can request a food voucher from, although limited in the amount of parcels you can have, and with an ever decreasing quality of food parcels for those in need, it’s certainly something to consider when your running out of food and your short of income.

The Discretionary Assistance fund is a fund of last resort available to those who live in Wales

“Any household awarded with 1 person will receive a payment of £56 by PAYPOINT. • Any household awarded with 2 persons will receive a payment of £67 by PAYPOINT. • Any household awarded with 3 or more persons will receive a payment of £111 by BACS.”

If you have been in the care of a local authority or are a “care experienced person” you could apply for a crises payment (among other things) from the Rees Foundation. There are many charities that exist for those who have been in care, but the Rees Foundation is different because it serves those who where/are in care regardless of age and also what they refer to as “care experienced people”.

Grants and other things for those who work in the care sector: ‘The Care Workers Charity’:

For unpaid carers: ‘The Care Collective’:

Budgeting Advance for those in reciept of Universal Credit:

You can apply by calling universal credit on: 0800 328 5644 Hours: Mon – Fri 08:00–18:00

The smallest amount you can borrow is £100. You can get up to: • £348 if you’re single • £464 if you’re part of a couple • £812 if you have children.

You might be able to get a Budgeting Advance to help with: • emergency household costs such as replacing a broken cooker • getting a job or staying in work • funeral costs You’ll repay it through your regular Universal Credit payments.”

Divi WordPress Theme